Despite being a make up junkie, I don’t like wearing a full face of make up daily, yet I want to look presentable for work. I also love sleep…which means I’m usually rushing to get ready in the mornings. So it’s only natural that I had to come up with a quick morning make up fix. Keep reading to see my daily 5 minute make up routine.
Items in my daily make up routine are as follows:
Smashbox BB Cream
I’ve tried a few cheaper brands of BB creams, but this is by far my favourite. BB cream is a great alternative to foundation because it gives you coverage but is lightweight, has SPF, controls shine and has anti aging benefits – so it’s actually good for your skin!
Note, if you have dry skin and don’t need to control shine, I recommend using Smashbox CC cream.
MAC Mineral Powder
Although MAC’s mineral powder is not 100% mineral based, I find it gives great coverage and the color match can’t be beat.
Revlon Eyelash Curler
I’ve been using Revlon’s eyelash curler for over a decade now and replace it every 8 months or so.
Maybelline Mascara – The Falsies Volum’ Express
Mascara is a personal choice and it varies person to person on what suits them best. I personally like this one as it gives me the drama my eyelashes need and is very reasonably priced.
Maybelline Line Stilleto Ultimate Precision Liquid Eyeliner
I like this because the pen style eyeliner makes it easy to apply. It’s good for daily, casual use, but if you’re looking for a longer full day wear that won’t rub off, I recommend looking at waterproof eyeliner options.
My Routine step by step as follows:
1. Apply the Smashbox BB cream as if you were applying face cream. I squeeze a small amount onto my fingertips and apply it all over my face. The BB cream is buildable so you can apply more or less based on the coverage you desire.
2. Set the Smashbox BB cream with the MAC Mineral Powder.
3. Curl my eyelashes – my eyelashes are quite straight so I spend 10 seconds on each eye curling my eyelashes.
4. Apply mascara on the upper and lower lash. Take your time on your upper lashes. Don’t rush this step, because in my opinion, mascara is a make or break point in a make up routine. It really wakes your eyes up.
5. Apply eyeliner. I apply eyeliner on the top and on the bottom. The reason I do the eyeliner after mascara is two fold:
i) Once you’ve applied mascara, it’s easier to apply eyeliner. Mascara builds a base on your eye and as a result it’s much easier to follow your lash line.
ii) It’s easy to get caught up and obsessed with making your eyeliner perfect. Word of advice – your eyeliner will rarely be perfectly symmetrical, but trust me…no one notices! Mascara hides all the imperfections in your eyeliner, so by applying mascara first, you won’t get as caught up on making it look perfect.
6. Apply some lip gloss. I usually opt for whatever is in my purse at the time, I’m not married to any specific lip gloss at the moment.
Et Voila! The final product below. I’m posting a before pic to show how much 5 minutes can make a difference. Both pictures were taken on the same day. My after shot was taken at the Go Train Station waiting for my train this morning.
There are always other variations to this routine based on your needs or comfort level. You can perhaps opt out of eyeliner and apply bronzer or blush instead for some color. In my opinion, the most important parts of the routine is coverage to give your skin an even finish and mascara to wake up your eyes. Eyeliner/blush are optional/interchangeable.
When I have an additional 5 minutes to spare, I add blush and color in my eyebrows.